Roof Tent Mounting Options

Scott Brady

Founder
We have had some good discussions on the virtues of roof tents, and one of the things often discussed is how to mount them. They are heavy and awkward, and need to be solid to withstand the reciprocating mass.

So, I will share some of my research, and hopefully others will chime in too.

Here are the methods I have looked into:

1. Custom platform at bed height
2. Custom Cage to mount tent at cab height
3. Custom Cage to mount tent top even with cab height
4. Mounted to shell
5. Mounted to hard tonneau
6. Simple mount to load bars
7. Mount to Thule Xsporter
8. Mount above cab

Scott Brady

Founder
Mount to Thule Xsporter

I really like this option, as it facilitates using tool boxes and having additional room under the tent. I seriously considered it before I built my custom platform.

422.jpg

71" cross bars will work with all compact and mid-sized trucks.
450LB dynamic load capacity
Adjustable height

If you are using a smaller roof tent, like the 1200, there will still be room to mount a mtn. bike, etc.

Xsporter

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Those Thule look nice.

With my Tacoma Double Cap and a Maggiolina Adventure hardshell tent, I have to mount it on cab hight.

I'm debating whether I should mount it to some kind of decent looking contractors rack or on a shell. What I'm concerned of is fuel milage as the Taco is my daily driver, and with the weigth of the tent, I do not want to put it up on Fridays and take it down on Mondays! So for now, I might just leave the Maggiolina mounted on my ute trailer, which works well as long as the trails are not too bad.

Scott Brady

Founder
Fiberglass Tonneau with rack installed.

These A.R.E shells (LSII Models) can be fitted with the Thule load bars and then mount the tent. Upgrading the gas struts will make lifting easier.

Combined with a drawer system, like the Outback units would make for a killer combo.

46_lsii_06tacoma_blue.JPG

From the A.R.E. site:

"Ultimate custom fit tonneau covers. The LSII Series is the ultimate in custom-fitted hard tonneau covers for today's pickups. A.R.E. designed each model to match the curvature and style lines of the pickup it is made to fit. Compound curves add strength as well as style.

The LSII Series is equipped with an exclusive Lift Assist System that captures the 200+ lbs. of constant stress. The Lift Assist System makes it easy to open and close your LSII by absorbing the stress exerted by gas struts within the system. Other tonneaus send the force to the front corners of the truck bed which are not constructed to handle the stress.

The painted Palm Grip handle blends in with the LSII body. An easy twist of the wrist unlatches the LSII without removing gloves or subjecting fingernails to possible breakage. The dual cut key goes into the lock easily the first time and turns to lock or unlock the LSII quickly.

The weight of the LSII rests on the rubber height adjusters of the mounting rail system, not on your truck's paint. This prevents unnecessary paint wear on your truck bed rails. The LSII is designed with a mounting rail system, which allows a clamp-on installation with a common 9/16" wrench. The LSII is fast and simple to remove and reinstall. There is no need to drill holes in your bed rails, which will hurt the resale value of your truck. Clamps are sold separately.

A.R.E. makes an LSII to fit all current model trucks plus most early models. the approximate weight is 90 lbs. for a mini and 120 lbs. for a full size."

paulj

Expedition Leader
A used Wildernest cap might be a good base for such a roof top tent, even if the Wildernest tent itself was no longer useable. The Wildernest people took a Guidon fiberglass shell, cut off the top, and glassed in steel braces in all 4 corners. The top also has hard points for mounting roof rack bars. I made my own mounting brackets, but Yakima's artificial rain gutter brackets would have worked.

Come to think of it, don't most people mount their roof rack brackets on the sides of the shell, rather than the top? I suspect the sides of most shells are stiffer than the roof.

paulj

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Ramdough said:
I have said this before, but my tent acounts for 2-3 MPG!!!!
It set me back about 1.5 - 2 MPG on my Grand Cherokee. That's why it ended on the trailer...

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
I really like this option, as it facilitates using tool boxes and having additional room under the tent. I seriously considered it before I built my custom platform.

422.jpg

71" cross bars will work with all compact and mid-sized trucks.
450LB dynamic load capacity
Adjustable height

If you are using a smaller roof tent, like the 1200, there will still be room to mount a mtn. bike, etc.

Xsporter

Also note Scott the Thule bars can be cut down about 10" if the overhang is an issue for small truck owners. Just trimoff with a hack saw and then drill new holes to mount the end caps. I have trimmed a few for some of my customers but personally have left mine alone. Since I am always carrying a bunch of boats I need the width.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
One thing to also watch out for on the Thule and Yakima racks is that they are telling you the load they can carry, not the force they can tolerate lifting. For example, I have Yakima 1A towers and Top Loader mounts on my WilderNest. They say they can hold something like 300 lbs. But if you were to try and actually lift my shell with a block & tackle roped to the cross bars the feet could open and slip off the mounts. The Thule that Scott shows is a much different design and seems more substantial, but be careful to understand the system when the tent is open and you have a couple of people sleeping, giving you a moment that is putting the rack in significant tension, so the connections and mechanicals are pulling up from the bed, rather than in compression like they are more typically designed to do. This is similar to the lowered rating that rack manufacturers give when you're using boxes and boat mounts which have significant lift as you scoot down the road, rather than a bike that does not try to fly nearly as much in the wind. I just wanted to point that out when you are comparing a Thule/Yak rack to a custom mount or ladder racks. Personally, I'd feel much more secure having my roof top tent bolted to a ladder rack or custom framework of square steel tubing.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
expeditionswest said:
These A.R.E shells (LSII Models) can be fitted with the Thule load bars and then mount the tent. Upgrading the gas struts will make lifting easier.

Combined with a drawer system, like the Outback units would make for a killer combo.

46_lsii_06tacoma_blue.JPG

From the A.R.E. site:

Another similar option might be one of these (without the canvas, they sell it as just a hard tonneau cover), I am not sure about the weight capacity though:

http://www.topupcamper.com/demo.php

Cheers
Mark

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've used Yakima A Towers and 72" load bars (3 sets under the tent, one additional set at the front of the rig) for my kayaks and roof tent/awning, and it works great.

-H-

Attachments

• LCLosAmigosBeachLarge.jpg
    LCLosAmigosBeachLarge.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 519

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
expeditionswest said:
Mark,

That is slick!

I like it so much I have played with the interactive demo at least 4 different times now. You wouldn't want to accidently hit the remote control "up" button while sleeping in the attached roof top tent though.
:eek:

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Mounting options for roof top tents

Scott has listed some of the more popular mounting options, which I can comment on, as we have several hundred tents in service in North America. I would also like to describe other options developed and used by AutoHome users for special needs. I am posting some photos of some examples. I will also limit my comments to mounting on pick-up trucks and trailers, as these fitments usually provoke the most questions and options.

A note on fuel efficiency:

Gas (fuel) mileage is often an issue. The best ways to minimize the impact of a tent on fuel consumption are; a.) employ a very streamlined tent, b.) Use a tent that is as lightweight as possible, consistent with long term performance, c.) place the tent in the slipstream of the vehicle - below cab height, or on a trailer.

Impact on mileage is very dependent on the type of vehicle that is employed, and how that vehicle is used. Example: an FJ40 Landcruiser, Land Rover series, or Jeep Wrangler is a 'brick' and somewhat under powered compared to other vehicles. Driven at lower speeds, as when in use on backroads and trails, the tent weight has more impact on mileage than the aerodynamics.

On highway mileage, traveling at speed, requires an aerodynamic solution. A traditional - folding, fabric - roof tent has a flat frontal surface of about 46" X 11" - 506 square inches of wind resistance at work. And the effect of this surface increases as the speed of the vehicle increases. This type of tent will have a penalty of 2 to 4 MPG or so, depending on a variety of factors - weigh, horsepower, altitude, etc. I prefer to use this type of tent on my trailer.

A streamlined, hard shell tent with a slick surface is many times more efficient. I have found that a tent like the Maggiolina AirLand has LESS impact on fuel efficiency than the roof rack alone - less wind resistance. To tell the truth, this type of tent on my Landcruiser or Ford Expedition is effiecent enough that it is hard to quantify the small impact on the mileage. On a lower powered vehicle, it becomes more noticeable, but is seldom more than 1 to 1.5 MPG penalty.

On mounting tents in general:

We much prefer tp recommend engineered aftermarket rack systems over factory or home made mounting systems. Thle and Yakima KNOW roof rack systems, and test configurations that are published in their fitment guides.

Bear in mind that factory rack systems may seriously limit the carrying capacity, or impose limits on durability under extreme conditions. We recommend that you fit your vehicle with aftermarket engineered rack system, such as Thule or Yakima.

Roof Rack System Load Ratings:

AutoHome roof top tents are designed to mount simply on engineered aftermarket crossbars, the same as you would use to carry your canoe, kayak or bicycle. The rack system transfers the weight to the structural parts of your vehicles's roof.

Like vehicles, roof racks carry a dynamic weight rating, which defines the tested limitations of the rack system when the vehicle is in motion. Most racks (in the USA) carry a maximum 165 pound dynamic rating, which means the rack can support 165 pounds of weight while driving down the road. AutoHome roof top tents weigh between 95 and 155 pounds, so the rack system can easily handle the weight. When you are parked and camping, this is a "static load", much more gentle and the racks can easily handle the additional weight of gear and occupants.

Off road Use: These tents are made to withstand a lot of abuse, but we highly recommend, when mounting a tent for off-highway use, that you employ THREE or more cross bars. This helps to distribute the load evenly under extreme use conditions.

Scott's tent mounting options:

1. Custom platform at bed height - I am not fond of this option, as it severely limits access to the bed and contents. It is strong and has limited impact on vehicle handling.

2. Custom Cage to mount tent at cab height - This option is often very similar to mounting on a 'lumber rack' a popular option that allows flexibility. I would place mounting to an 'exoskeleton' in the came category. Here is a photo of Gary Kardum's FJ45 trayback with a Columbus tent fitted to the exoskeleton.

372852.jpg

3. Custom Cage to mount tent top even with cab height - a good functional option, but 'custom' _ $$, and the engineering must be solid, so that no functional problems ensue from the mounting structure. Desertdude chose to mount his Maggiolina this way, and it is a very tidy and workable arrangementHeres a Tacoma with this type of mounting:

408671.jpg

4. Mounted to shell - This is a very simple and effective way to go. Most of our customers who mount tents to their pick-ups opt for this solution. Mounting to the shell does not need to be an engineering project. Most shells can be fitted with artificial rain gutters, standard cross bars, and the tent secured to the cross bars with standard mounting hardware. Here's two examples:

408669.jpg

408672.JPG

5. Mounted to hard tonneau - Problem is opeing the tonneau cover without some serious gas ram upgrading, and the tonneau cover really limits what can bo done. We don't see this otion very ofetn ofr these reasons.

6. Simple mount to load bars - Simple, effective, flexible. A no brainer when combined with a cap or extended cab system..

7. Mount to Thule Xsporter - We like the Xsporter a lot. It is very strong, adjustable for height, and can be bought off the shelf. Quite a few of our customers use them.

8. Mount above cab - This may look a little weird, but more than a few of our customers do this, and report that it works well. This really works best with a extended or double cab truck. Standard roof rack systems are employed. Here's a photo of a couple of Maggiolinas mounted to the cabs of Toyota trucks -

408668.jpg

408673.jpg

I have also seen customer engineer systems that allow the tent to slide to the rear on tracks - providing a sheltered area at the rear of the vehicle. I have seen them mounted in the bed of a Unimog, on motorcyle trailers, etc.

I will try to do a post on tents on trailers.

Mike S

Last edited:

91xlt

Adventurer
Excellent and creative ways...my fav is still on a trailer of some sort

Attachments

• Picture%20003.jpg
    Picture%20003.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 4,063

Forum statistics

Threads
Members