Toyo MT 255/85R16 (and comparison pics)

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I never thought it would happen. I thought there was not enough market demand. But Toyo has introduced their popular Open Country MT in the LT255/85R16 size. I have half joked in the past that if Toyo ever offered this tire in a 255/85 I would buy two sets. Toyo has also introduced LT235/85R16 and LT245/75R16 sizes of the Open Country MT.

The Toyo MT 255s are so new they are not listed on Toyo's website. There is a possibility that these tires are a Les Schwab Tires exclusive, though I'm from from certain about this. After learning that these tires were available from Les Schwab last week I began talking with Toyo marketing/PR regarding obtaining a set for for a magazine article. It looked promising, but after a week I was informed that currently Les Schwab has all stock in the 255/85 size. I did call another local independent Toyo dealer who checked and said he would be able to order them but that it would take a couple weeks? His price was very similar to the discounted price Les Schwab offered me. This will all shake out in the next few weeks or months. Regardless of who has them currently these tires are out there and for sale if you can find them.

I have been an occasional fan of Toyo MT in the past because of it's rugged construction and high quality. Low noise for an aggressive tread, usually taking little weight to balance, three ply sidewalls, seven ply tread and massive sidewall lugs make this a serious tire. The potential negatives have been weight, cost, stiffness and the sizes offered.

The only 16-in. sizes available that worked for my applications in the past were 265/75R16 and 285/75R16. Both are load range E tires. The 285s rode better because of their taller sidewalls but were too wide for me, and the 265s were too short (I much prefer 33s over 32s for my rigs). I recently sold the 265s to a friend and I sold the 285s with my '05 Rubicon over a year ago.

Since the Toyo MT 255/85 is a new offering in a size that has disproportionate popularity on this site, I thought it would be helpful and interesting to share some photos of this new 255/85 tire next to a few others of the same size, as well as the Toyo MT in 285/75R16 & 265/75R16.

Specifications According to Toyo:

-Overall Diameter: 33.5”
-Overall Width: 10.2
-Static Loaded Radius: 15.6
-Acceptable wheels sizes: 6.5-8.0 (7.0 used for measurements)
-Tread Depth: 19/32”
-Revolutions per mile: 619
-Weight: 60-lbs
-Speed Rating: P-93-mph
-Load Range E: 3415-lbs @ 80-psi

Toyo MT & Maxxis Bighorn MT 255/85R16 Unmounted

85IMG_4265.jpg

Toyo Mt & Bighorn MT 255 Close Up

ToyoMTMaxxisBighonMT255closeupIMG_4.jpg

Toyo MT & Dean (Cooper brand) SXT MT 255/85R16 Unmounted

85unmountedIMG_4248.jpg

Cooper ST & Toyo MT 255/85R16

CooperSTToyoMT255IMG_4350.jpg

BFG MT & Toyo MT 255/85R16

85IMG_4339.jpg

Toyo MT 285/75R16 & 255/85R16

85IMG_4292.jpg

Toyo MT 265/75R16, 255/85R16, 285/75R16

285R16IMG_4301.jpg

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Picture of the Sidewalls LT255/85R16

BFG MT KM 255/85R16

BFGMTSidewalltreadIMG_4345.jpg

Cooper ST 255/85R16

CooperSTsidewalltreadIMG_4356.jpg

Maxxis Bighorn MT 255

MaxxisBighornMTsidewallIMG_4278.jpg

Toyo MT 255/85

ToyoMTsidewalltreadIMG_4277.jpg

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Another great tire.

Redline said:
I never thought it would happen.

The tire junkie strikes again! Well done and documented as usual.
I wonder if they will show up in Canada?

Redline said:
The potential negatives have been weight, cost, stiffness and the sizes offered.

For the sake of comparison, do you have the the weight of the Bighorns, Coopers and BFG tires in the 255/85R16?

So when will the Mall Crawler get a new set of shoes? :hehe:

Cheers,
P

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Weights

P, ask and you shall receive ☺

Toyo MT 255/85R16E 60-lbs
Toyo MT 265/75R16E 58-lbs (edited to 58-not 60-lbs)
Toyo MT 285/75R16E 68-lbs

Maxxis Bighorn MT 255/85R16D 57-lbs

Maxxis Bravo At 255/85R16D 58-lbs (3-ply sidewall, no picture here)

BFG MT KM 255/85R16D 51-lbs

Cooper ST 255/85R16D 49-lbs

Last edited:

nruller

Observer
:xxrotflma This is GREAT news... I almost ordered a set of 285's this week.... I am going to try and get a set ASAP... any chance you have a part number available????

CYi5

Explorer
Do you know what a ballpark price is on these? I picked up my 255/85 Bighorns for $524, i'd imagine these would be more.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
This should do it.

The set I photographed were made in Japan, not in Georgia, USA.

IMG_4319.jpg

nruller said:
:xxrotflma This is GREAT news... I almost ordered a set of 285's this week.... I am going to try and get a set ASAP... any chance you have a part number available????

nruller

Observer
Redline said:
This should do it.

The set I photographed were made in Japan, not in Georgia, USA.

I guess that means I am paying duty...

I wonder how difficult it will be to find these from other Toyo dealers...

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
The Toyos are much more expensive than Maxxis Bighorns.

I can't find my notes but my memory is close. Retail price at my local Les Schwab for one LT255/85R16 Toyo MT before May 1 was $280.00. May 1 Toyo/Les had a 5% price increase, making the tire 294.00 each.

I can get them for 10% less than retail at my local store. I also checked another small local Toyo dealer earlier this week and he said he could order them and his mounted and balanced price would be about $270.00 each.

CYi5 said:
Do you know what a ballpark price is on these? I picked up my 255/85 Bighorns for $524, i'd imagine these would be more.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Weight matters...

Redline said:
P, ask and you shall receive ☺

Toyo MT 255/85R16E 60-lbs
Toyo MT 265/75R16E 60-lbs
Toyo MT 285/75R16E 68-lbs
Maxxis Bighorn MT 255/85R16D 57-lbs
Maxxis Bravo At 255/85R16D 58-lbs (3-ply sidewall, no picture here)
BFG MT KM 255/85R16D 51-lbs
Cooper ST 255/85R16D 49-lbs

Much appreciated sir, I knew you would have this information. Interesting that these are approx. 10 lbs heavier per tire than the BFG and Cooper tires. That is quite a bit heavier.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yep, when I purchased my Maxxis Bighorns and then the Bravo ATs I was a bit surprised how much heavier they were than the BFG MTs.

The scale adds an often forgotten dimension to tire selection.

p1michaud said:
Much appreciated sir, I knew you would have this information. Interesting that these are approx. 10 lbs heavier per tire than the BFG and Cooper tires. That is quite a bit heavier.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Tire Hardness/Durometer

Another point I forgot to mention was the apparent hardness, or lack there of, of the tread. Without a durometer gauge I poked, pushed and squeezed the tread of the Toyo MT and Maxxis Bighorn MT in 255/85R16 side by side. The comparison of these two treads was interesting to me as I already own a set of Bighorns and I like their traction. I expected Toyos to be harder because of their reputation for decent wear on-highway.

The temperature was about 65-degrees in the basement storage room of the tire store. The Toyo MT actually felt softer to the touch than the Bighorn when pressing into the tread blocks with a fingernail and pushing on the edges of the big tread blocks. Who knows how this would change as the tires wear but I was surprised. Of course, the proof is in the traction.

I'm actually happy about this because I'm more interesting in traction and performance than I am with unusually long tread life.

Last edited:

jl8088

Adventurer
thank you very much for this post. I have been interested in something larger (taller) than my 265/75 but i don't want the width of the 285/75. Glad to see several offerings in this hybrid size.

I too am shocked to see the BFG MT 10lbs under the competition in the same size. Hmmm....

ashooter

Adventurer
Very cool, Redline!

Would you say the rubber compound on these M/T's is noticeably softer than you remember your M-55's being? As you know, I'm on the fence between these tires and the M-55's. Tread life means a lot to me (especially on a $270+ tire).

I really like the idea of this M/T, but if it's only going to last me 30k miles or so, that makes it a little harder to swallow the price. I'd fully expect the M-55's to last nearly twice that long, from everything I've heard from people who have run them.... Is there any kind of mileage warranty from Toyo with these tires?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I don't believe there is a mileage warranty with either of these tires, but I'm not certain.

I can't comment on the hard/softness of the Toyo M55 compared to the MT. It was too long ago and I was not doing a side by side comparison then. I would not be surprised if the M55 lasts longer. In addition to any possible tread compound differences the tread has less void which should help it last longer as well.

I wish I owned a Durometer as I know the guy who has my old M55s on his F350 and they don't have many miles on them yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles