FJ ROCKS ARIZONA (FJ Cruiser Team Run) Saturday, June 10th

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
seth_js said:
Aaron,

If you are worried about damage at all, I probably wouldn't risk it. Are you locked front or rear? If you do decide to do it, there is a good chance your nerf bars will get bent up. You can see some pictures of the "rockiest" part of the trail here:

http://seth.phizz.net/stuff/adventures/desoto_mine_10-22-05/

-Seth

Seth: Those pics? Do they represent the easiest lines through the trail or did these rigs pick a funner line?

Westy

Adventurer
Many of those pics Seth posted are of the trail...of course some of those the guys are playing on the rocks :D

Without a lift and or larger tires, I would highly recommend rock sliders..

this is the trail...there are a couple different ways through parts of the wash but for the most part these are the easiest lines...
Ben
Wash5.jpg

Brian (Taco)
HPIM2602.jpg

Brian
HPIM2611.jpg

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
...good pic's - and most of that is near the end of the rocky section. There is one short creek crossing after that, and then it's all two track up and down the ridges.

If the group is fairly large it'll take two or three hours to get thru that section (see pic two above - you can see almost the whole section) with all the photo ops and spotting. Steve Schaefer and I have both done a lot of spotting in this creek, and it should go pretty smooth.

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Hmmmmmmm, the step bars I am not worried about, but the rear bumper? I kinda want to keep that in tact for a little while still. You may want to count me out unless someone wants a passenger.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
datrupr said:
Hmmmmmmm, the step bars I am not worried about, but the rear bumper? I kinda want to keep that in tact for a little while still. You may want to count me out unless someone wants a passenger.

You're welcome to ride with Becky and me.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I might have to take you up on that John. I would love to do this run, and check out the FJ's in action, but not at the expense of possible body damage.

seth_js

Explorer
datrupr said:
I might have to take you up on that John. I would love to do this run, and check out the FJ's in action, but not at the expense of possible body damage.

Chicks dig scars. :p

-Seth

datrupr

Expedition Leader
That might be true Seth, unless it is my wife, she does not like body damage on any of the cars. She half flipped out when she finally noticed the new scrape on my front bumper from Smiley Rock.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Vibration on the 5" lifted Lexus is 95% gone! :ar15: VIBES

I'm SO excited. It's coming on this run. Ahhhh, a smooooth ride again. The 100 gets to sit a lot more. Ahhhh. Today is looking good!:D

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
A little history of the area on the trail...

Fish's manuscript gives the following account of the fight with the Indians, known as the “Battle Flat” fight. Fish says that this account was taken from a manuscript shown him by Judge Brooks in Prescott in 1900, giving the whole details of the fight. It varies somewhat from the account given by Hamilton in his work, “The Resources of Arizona,” and I am of the opinion that it is the true version, for the reason that it was taken from an original manuscript owned by Judge Brooks, whom all settlers in Prescott will remember as reliable in all respects. The account is as follows:

“In the latter part of May, 1864, Stewart Wall, Frank Binckley, DeMorgan Scott, Samuel Herron and Fred Henry, started from Walnut Grove on a prospecting trip. They took three pack animals and a good supply of provisions. They took their time passing the Hassayampa and Turkey Creek, and camped on the 2nd of June on what has since been known as ‘Battle Flat.' About two hours before daylight the next morning they were attacked by a large body of Indians. The Indians would, doubtless, have waited until daylight, but one of the boys raising up, led them to believe that they were getting up. Every man was wounded and two of the horses killed before daylight. There was a continuous shower of arrows coming from the enemy, who were all around in fearful odds, and the boys were driven from their camp, taking up their position some three hundred yards away where they were still surrounded by the foe. The Indians took possession of the camp and made a breakfast upon the two dead horses. The boys found themselves in a terrible condition—all wounded and some of them in a frightful manner. Henry was wounded in the arm, but his legs were all right, so it was decided that he should break through the enemy's line and go for help. He took Frank Binckley, who had a ball through the bridge of his nose which drove a bone into an eye putting it out, with him. It was feared that Binckley would go insane if left. The two attempted, at about eleven o'clock in the forenoon, to crawl through the brush, but were soon discovered, and a running fight was then kept up for some distance. The men took a circuitous route to avoid being ambushed and to have the advantage in the ground. The party being aroused from their beds so suddenly, and in warm weather, had but little on, and these two wounded men made the run through the mountains from eleven a. m. until eight a. m. the next morning, barefooted. When they reached Walnut Grove a company of ten men soon started out and found the other boys, who had fought the Indians until in the forenoon, when the hostiles left, probably thinking that the game was not worth the cost. The boys were all taken in and all recovered but Sam Herron, who died nine days after.”

Walnut Grove is TWENTY PLUS MILES OVER THE HILLS DUE WEST!!!

Tough bastards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94