Sell me on a Land Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Plus you can't give tire rides on a landcruiser!
Jason T.
(but when you need to fix it the rider has to get off)

Paul Piazza

I am a former Land Rover Discovery owner and now a Land Cruiser owner. I agree with most things said here about the Rover, I really enjoyed mine. I had a 2003 that a was a daily driver and a light trail rig. I had to sell it because it was killing me as a daily driver.

I used the money which I received for the rig to by a economical truck and a FJ-60. Although the Land Rover was a great snow mobile and decent trail rig, I have to admit I feel that my 60 is a better all around trail rig. I have taken it on rocks, and other types of trails with less worry about sheet metal damage and better clearance. It’s easier to sleep in and more comfortable to camp with. And it just is simply more rugged, has less little problems (especially when you consider it’s a 1982), therefore I feel it is more relable. I had a lot of little problems with my Rover.

What I miss the most about my Rover is the luxury on long trips. The rig was simply more plush on the long dive to the trail, and was nice to ride in.

Maybe you should consider a Jeep. :wings: :eek:

Last edited:

Green96D1

Explorer
heres what I like about my Land Rover and rovers in general

Very Strong Frames
Lightweight yet Tough Alloy and Steel Body
Offset diffs
Low gear T-case
robust Tranny
Coolness Factor:xxrotflma
good Flex Stock.

Like mentioned earlier maintnence is the Key. If well maintained the Land Rover will be very reliable and in some cases "self heal"

I love my 96 Disco.:smiley_drive:

go to discoweb.org

look at the 5 million posts concerning reliability issues -

then go to a Toyota forum and see that yes Toyota has issues, but not like a Rover

every time i think I want a Rover again I zipp over to Discoweb and sober right up!

to use the words of cycling champion Chris Boardman when describing the ride of a De Rosa bicycle, one of the most beautiful and renown bicycle makers in the world especially in Italy where cycling is king -

The Land Rover may look pretty at a dinner party, but if your looking for substance, depth, and conversation; look elsewhere unless you let your emotions rule your finances, common sense, and over land plans

you'll notice reliability was only mentioned by one person who knew immediately his remarks would be contested

good luck and enjoy your search whatever you get,

sincerely,

a former multi land rover owner who can separate fantasy from reality finally when it comes to my wanting Rovers to be something they're not - a practical, dependable, form of transportation that won't make you want to set the thing on fire after breaking your heart and for some, your wallet!

I have been rehabilitated :ylsmoke:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
K2RVR said:
but would never expect the same of a series driver, unless they knew me from our travels.

It's a shame really...
I think that is changing though. It seems more and more rangie and disco owners are buying series rigs.

Btw... what is the ETA for the new RTT? I am going to send you some $$ soon!:Astrologist:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I know that this is a hot topic, and I always seem to come across as confrontational, so apologies in advance... I didn't make any friends when I posted about a year ago what I think about landrovers, but since you asked I just have to go there again.

I've had quite a bit of wheel time in two 110s and a 130 that were company vehicles. For comparison I've owned a CJ7 and a 1st-gen. 4-runner, and I've had a lot of wheel time in the military M-151A2.

As much as I want to love landrovers, I just can't.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, they are heavy, uncomfortable, un-ergonomic vehicles. Due to their weight they get stuck in mud that my CJ and my 4-runner laughed at. I've had the opportunity to drive the CJ and a 110 on the same day, in the same conditions. Even in the same mud pit. WRT comfort and ergonomics, long distance driving is miserable.

As to reliability, well, they are British vehicles, after all. I think it’s fitting that they appeal to folks who like to tinker.

I don't mean to say that either my CJ or my 4-runner were world-expedition-class vehicles, but my experiences would definitely make me choose a landcruiser over a landrover.

Like I said, I really want to love 'em. They are so 'classic expedition vehicle.' But I just cant bring myself to do it.

Again, that’s just my opinion, and there are a lot of people here who’ve got a lot more wheel time in ‘em than me. No offense intended, by any means. Love 'em if you will, just don't expect me to.

I guess you really need to try to get some wheel time in one, and decide for yourself. They really seem to be a love-em-or-hate-em vehicle.

They do have their good points though. If I were stuck in a landcruiser, I wouldn't mind having a landrover around to pull me out. All that weight is nice when you need tugging traction. :)

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Ducks said:
What are the strengths of the Land Rover?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to be a troll or cause too much conflict. I don't know anything about land rovers. I have the impression and have heard from people who have owned them that they have mechanical problems. I am reading more about overlanding and they seem to be extremely popular. I see them a lot in Overland Journal and a lot of websites that sell expedition gear are oriented towards the land rover. I am partial to the Toyota land cruiser. But I don't really know anything about the land rover. I'd like to be able to talk intelligently with you fellow enthusiasts about a product that you very much enjoy. I started out my off-road obsession with the g-wagen but have moved on to the land cruiser and I would like to learn more about the land rover.

:beer:

P.S. Thanks for your patience and grace on such an obviously noobish post.

If you have to question if a LR if right for you, than you are probably not going to be happy with any LR. I've owned a CJ5, FJ40, multiple FJ55s, FJ62 and a FJ80 and have loved each of them. With that said I always knew that I had to have a Defender some day. No questions, no doubts and no regrets:) Despite my signature line my Defender has been VERY reliable, I just like to stoke the fire.:sombrero:

sinuhexavier

Explorer
This is what you get...

208097544_6cec162523_o.jpg

224591955_fa05c4050d_b.jpg

2322100525_428fed2095_o.jpg

489117326_bc35d244f0_o.jpg

KingSlug

Observer
I don't think you should be sold on the Land Rover, especially a series. Its a want, an impulse buy or gift. Sometimes you love them from the start, other its a grudging will to have a running vehicle that you won't give up on it and others give up on their dream of cruising the rolling african plains of the 5 Fwy because the rover requires love, patience, some money and care that must be give to a 3 yr old that never grows up.

I always have people waving at me, its my faded green with red crosses 1966 2a ambulance and my good looks. But of the rover tribe I think few of the new range rover owners wave and usually only a few disco owners. Series wave for me to stop so we can have a conversation, defenders give me a thumbs up, and classic owners honk for some reason. I would definitely stop for a series, defender or rover with women and kids minus a male, but never for a range rover or disco because what would I do without an auto-logic reader unless we were in the backwoods were they need a tow or me to carry a message to town.

michaelgroves

Explorer
MuddyMudskipper said:
The Range Rover Classic and Discovery, up to 2004, may not share the mechanical and electrical simplicity of the Series trucks and early Defenders or be viewed as romantically by some, but the DNA is unmistakable.

The Defender actually owes more to the RRC than it does to the Series vehicles that preceded it. When the RRC was being developed in the late sixties, the Series IIa was still the only Land Rover, even sporting a gearbox without syncromesh on 1stand 2nd gears! The RRC was a radical departure from the Series truck - V8 engine, permanent 4WD with a lockable centre-diff, long travel coil springs, comfortable seating. The RRC did share a few features of the Series vehicle such as a welded box-section chassis and mainly aluminium body panels.

The Series 3 came out in 1972, and it was not until 1983 or so that they finally adopted the RRC's suspension, engine, and other mechanicals, and put them into what is essentially a Series body, to create what is now known as the Defender.

So I would argue that the chain of "DNA" is very much complete between Series, Defenders, RRCs, P38s and Discoverys, though it's broken by the radically new RR Mk III (L322), and the LR3 (Disco 3).

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Actually there's an even better quote from that 1964 Car and Driver article, from the girlfriend of one of the magazine's staff. After an epic drive through storms, traffic, etc., crammed in the back seat, she said, "I've never been so miserable in my life. Wouldn't it be a ball to own one of these things?"

To me that totally sums up Series Land Rover ownership.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Lynn said:
IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, they are heavy, uncomfortable, un-ergonomic vehicles. Due to their weight they get stuck in mud that my CJ and my 4-runner laughed at. I've had the opportunity to drive the CJ and a 110 on the same day, in the same conditions. Even in the same mud pit.
If I were stuck in a landcruiser, I wouldn't mind having a landrover around to pull me out. All that weight is nice when you need tugging traction. :)

Hmm... it does seem a little unreasonable to compare your CJ and a 110! A Defender 110 is actually light for the payload it can carry, but you'd really have to compare a CJ with a Ninety, for it to be a useful comparison. Driving experience, tyres, suspension, wheel base, track, ground clearance and weight all influence how a vehicle performs in each situation.

And then... a Land Rover is heavier than a Land Cruiser?

TLC FJ80 around 2100kg
Discovery I is under 2000kg

TLC UZJ100 is around 2450kg
Discovery II is 2076kg

Defender 110 1970kg
Defender 90 1750kg

Jeep CJ (depending on which one) anywhere from 1400-2000kg

My point is not that one is a better expedition vehicle than another, but just that their weights are not miles apart. As far as their respective off-road capabilities go, I don't think anyone could claim that Land Rovers are significantly better than Cruisers, or vice versa. Both marques have their strong points and weak points, and individual preference largely boils down to one's perception of these, and their relative importance. We all see what we want to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior