Introducing my new rig: The Phoenix

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
As a few of you may know I purchased a new rig a few months ago: a 1971 Steyer-Puch Pinzgauer.
What is not well known is that it has been in Jake's shop almost ever since. Wow, was I "down" for a while. :(

After an electrical short in the fuel pump power was fixed, I took it out to Roseann & Jonathan's. When I drove up to their house, oil was dripping underneath. On the way back home it started smoking. OMG!!!! :yikes:

To make a long story short...the #3 piston was blown and the head was cracked.

Piston-009.jpg

It took several months to find, negotiate a purchase, and receive a whole set...all 4 pistons, cylinders, heads, the whole works. "We" (read, Jake) also replaced the fuel management system, and fuel pump, converted from a distributor to an electronic ignition, and rewired some of the gauges. See below. The cylinders were machined to accept slightly larger pistons (Ross I think).

So now let me show you the resurrected 1971 Pinzgauer 710K...newly renamed, The Phoenix.

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

It is definitely "well-endowed." ;) It has 6 (yes, six) Optima Yellow-top batteries. Two to supply the 24 volt ignition/vehicle system, and 4 to power the stereo and "accessories." Twin solar panels on the roof recharge the 4 accessory Optimas. The accessories include an Alpine stereo/GPS unit in the front ceiling console; a computer, flat screen monitor, and DVD player in the back. The stereo cranks out 1600 watts. I think I use 30 or 40. A back-up camera displays on a 7" screen on the dash.

The previous owner did a complete restoration in 2001. All four seats are Monaco buckets. The entire vehicle has been sound-deadened, and is air-conditioned from the roof mounted unit. It has an antenna that is supposed to be satellite-ready, but I certainly haven't tried that out yet. :p

The wheels are customized to accept the wider tires it has now.

As a Pinz it has hydraulically activated 4WD, as well as front & rear lockers. Ground clearance is nearly 10".

Oh, and today I set a personal best record for 0 to 50 in 21 seconds! LOL!
There's a heck of a lot more to it, and a bit more to be done (still needs a side-view mirror) but I need to get some work done right now...

Anyway...I am a happy camper this weekend. :victory:

Cheers!

safari.gif

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Ed, that is beautiful and jealosy factor is way high. Awesome and amazing rig, looking forward to see it in person.

Bergger

Explorer
That is very nice. Looks like almost the perfect vehicle to explore the desert in. I also like the color over the more popular olive drab you usually see. You should paint a phoenix on the side!:p

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
That ride is awesome! Looks like your ready to make house calls for the post apocalypse wastelands.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
So jealous... Great rig mate. Looks like that is one PO that didn't leave you with a basket case to clean up eh. quite the oposite in fact.

Cheers

Dave

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Awesome! The cat is finally out of the bag...:wavey:

I have always lusted after that vehicle. :drool:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Glad you finally spilled the beans! I almost let it slip a few times and caught myself!

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Thanks all!
I just finished cleaning up the interior and a couple of minor items...like putting the license plate on!
But now there's too much shadow for pictures of the interior.
I'll try to take a few shots tomorrow if possible....or...soon....

safari.gif

viatierra

Explorer
Nice Ed! That thing is a beast. Now you need a matching Adventure trailer just to keep up with yourself.
:smilies27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier