ExPo Garages: Lets see them!

Scott Brady

Founder
I know some of you have dream garages. Lets have a little inspiration :jumping:

The Expeditions West garage at home:

I will start with mine, which is the standard two-car job, but happens to be attached to a lot with an amazing view, so I can take the compromise. Eventually, we will build a big shop on a commercial lot.

For those of you that know me well, my garage is always full of boxes and gear and roof tents and 5-6 fridges and assorted other junk and piles of equipment in various states of use. One of my big goals for the start of 2008 was to get my garage in order, I mean really in order, like a full-blown Kaizen organization blitz. It took me over a week of time (up till 1:00 in the morning, etc), and thanks to many of you for buying extra stuff and taking older gear away, I have less than 50% of the things in there as before.

Those that have seem my garage in the last year will be in shock... :eek:

Ok, here you go (I am like a proud papa)

EW_garage_right.JPG

EW_garage_center.JPG

EW_garage_left.JPG

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Here is my garage in 2006 with my truck sitting Deaverless, lots of room, but a little cold to work on vehicles in the winter months... :smilies27

IH8RDS

Explorer
What is this garage thing you guys are speaking of? lol. Its nice to see how the other half lives... j/k Looks like you have a nice setup there. I'm usually out in the driveway or the back porch with a bear suit on.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
My Favorite Topic!

My favorite place to spend time is in the garage, at the workbench.
I built this one last year and use it ALL the time.
153148033-L.jpg

I do all of my own truck and motorcycle maintenance inside my little 2 car garage. Here's one of the more involved jobs I did recently... my BMW1100RT before:
242589758-L.jpg

And after:
195927005-M.jpg

Started on the first try. :bike_rider:

I covered half the garage floor with this stuff:
159711510-S.jpg

Highly recommended... I don't even use the creeper anymore. The tiles are comfortable to lay and kneel on for hours.

Of course I have to share the homemade RTT hoist built with info I got right here on Expo:
203323906-M.jpg

203323934-M.jpg

My wife has already given me permission for a bigger garage at the next house. I told her I need at least 200 more sq.ft. for the FWC and Adventure Trailer. ;)

:Mechanic:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
First born wrench spot - mom and dads

My old bachelor pad driveway

My old X's garage

my current garage - work

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
expeditionswest said:
What brand tiles are those? That is my next step.
It's the exact same stuff as this product from Craftsman. My wife found it at Big Lots for ~$5 a pack! I bought every package they had. If I ever damage a tile, I have plenty of extra to replace it (haven't damaged one in the 9 months I've had it). It stands up great to oil and chemical spills but is too soft to park the car on. I use pieces of plywood under motorcycle kickstands, floor jacks, etc. You can cover the plywood with the tile material and it looks great. I drive my truck on it occassionally but it's not really made to hold that many PSI. I left a bare spot on my garage floor for the truck tires.

Other options:
I also did a thorough test of RaceDeck (there are several companies with the exact same product) and commercial grade epoxy. Here's a pic of the epoxy floor inside the 10,000sq.ft. "garage" at my work:
242613724-M.jpg

This stuff will withstand ANYTHING and still look like the above pic. You can eat off that floor. This was professionally installed and much higher quality than the DIY epoxy floor material they sell at Home Depot.

Both RaceDeck and the epoxy will run $1200-$2000+ for a typical 2-car garage. We budgeted $1500. Then my wife found those tiles at Big Lots and I think my total cost was $200 (I love that woman!).

Clutch

<---Pass
:D

Picture taken before we bought the antique, hand set type, printing press...I call it the 1200 pound gorilla.

Looks like this.

printingpress.jpg

I am going to build a shop in the back yard for the motorcycles, then turn the garage into an artist studio/printing press shop.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94