Florida Tacoma build

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Hello all this some info about my rig. I bought her from a used car lot for $3500.00 a year ago. Long story but in the right place at the right time is all. This is my first 4X4. I have been building hotrods and bikes for about 12 years and the thought of a nice toyota truck was always in the back of my head. I own an outdoor shop here in Florida so having a vehicle that could get me to remote lands was always something that I really needed.

When I got it the Taco was a stock as could be 225/75/15 street tiresis what it had. It did however have a super clean underchassis, no rust or body damage, and a solid 2.7 motor. I wasn't really sure what to do with it since I hadn't really planned on finding a truck so quick but yo know how that goes.

I found a local club and went to a meeting that week and on the following Saturday I went on my first ride. Florida's most challenging place called the pit. An old limestone quarry that eats up vehicles left and right. Needless to say after some nerve racking trails and watching a Jeep go end over end 4 times that day I was hooked.

I have spent most of my time building the rig with stuff that wouldn't poin me down in any direction since I wasn't sure what my 4x4 niche would be. I have studied learned and driven the hell out of this truck and had a blast. Based on my ourdoor background and passion for travel expedition outfititing has always had the most appeal so no suprise I have finally mapped out a plan for the truck.

This is my truck on a trip to the everglades OHV area near Everglades City not to long after getting it. I had only put on sliders and racks. Even those little 225 were on it for this trip!
stuck.jpg
[/IMG]

toyotacrossing.jpg
[/IMG]

This was taken on that trip and set the tone for the day. I stalled out do to an usealed disributor and got stranded in this for about 5 minutes. The water was over the seats in the cab by the time I got pulled out it was hilarious! The worst part was I had ordered a snorkel from 4WPW 3 weeks earlier and it never arrived until the a day after we got back. LOL! Needless to say the snorkel and a sealing of the electrical stuff happened ASAP.
gotsnorkel2.jpg
[/IMG]

After that week we started on armour so a custom rear bumper was first since I had no rear pull points then a new front winch bumper and 8000# ramsey winch. My friend Damon and myself built these parts from scratch along with a custom skid plate.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
After that week in the Glades we started on armour. Since I had no rear tow point the rear bumper was first. THen a front to inclde an 8000# ramsey wicn and a set of lights.

The next pic shows the truck ready to go to Tellico OHV. We finished the Front bumper a day before and left for Tellico untested. It took a beating but performed flawlessly.
frontshot2.jpg
[/IMG]
upper2.jpg
[/IMG]
peckerwood.jpg
[/IMG]

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
The next two pics were taken local. The first about 10 minutes from my house at a place called articulation alley. The second in the Ocala national forest about a week after the 4th hurricane past through last year. Just thought it was agood pic.
bigair.jpg
[/IMG]
inwatercrop.jpg
[/IMG]

I have added Beard suspension seats, 31" BFG muds, hella lights,GPS,CB complete S.S. exhaust, and several other little gadgets that you can't see in these pics. I have some cool upcoming projects including a custom Electrical box in bed with OBA inverter, dual batts etc, planned very soon. I'll write up when I get that built. Hope you guys like my write up.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
welcome! your truck has come along way nice armor -

That is a great stuck in the water photo :elkgrin:

you Flrorida dudes have some jungles to trail through :D

bluerunner

Adventurer
Welcome! and very nice work!

Lets see an interior shot please.

Looking at replacing my seats as well. :eatchicke

Scott Brady

Founder
What a great looking truck, with lots of thoughtful modifications. Very well done.

I love this picture!
inwatercrop.jpg

So, now that you have all of the cool off-road goodies on there, what are your camping plans? Tent, Roof Tent, Trailer, Camper?

It will be fun to follow your build.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Those are some good looking bumpers, nice job! The bottom of those sliders show they're earning their keep too.

I look forward to seeing what else you have in store for this cool rig - :ylsmoke:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Great looking Taco, and those home made bumpers are perfect! You should consider going into the bull bar/bumper business. I know what you mean though, once the 4X4 bug bites, you are hooked :D . Welcome to the board.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
What a great looking truck, with lots of thoughtful modifications. Very well done.

I love this picture!
inwatercrop.jpg

So, now that you have all of the cool off-road goodies on there, what are your camping plans? Tent, Roof Tent, Trailer, Camper?

It will be fun to follow your build.
Whats funny about that pic, and I just realized it, is that was the last ride with the factory antenna. Had a tree branch come down on me mid day and snapped it off LOL.

Right now we use a 3 man tent with retactable fly. I am looking at the os tent though it is really neat. Just have to come up with a good mounting plan.

Last edited:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
My next project is redoing the electrical system. I have a Diamond Plate tool box in the bed that will soon house 2 Yellow tops, Battery isolator, power inverter, viair compressor, winch control box, and a seperate fuse block for all acceriess. There is enough room for an onboard welder which will come down the road a ways.

The local club I belong to had a rally race fundraiser yesterday. They made me compete in the modified class even though I have stock suspension and 31" tires but I still took 5th. I would have been either first or second but I got there late, and didn't have time to walk the course. I missed 2 turns that cost me about at least 15 seconds on stage one. I don't feel bad finishing 5th out of 27 when everyone I ran against had 33-37" tires and most lockers. It was fun and the event raised over $3000 for charity. My roof rack needs minor repair from introductions to a tree. Tree won. I have a digital video camera and got my run on tape. I just need to figure out how to use the new pinnacle video software so I can post a clip.

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Dang, I have no idea how I missed this thread :confused: :smilies27

That is a SUPER NICE truck and some great photos! Looks like you ardon't mind taking your rig through some pretty serious stuff there! :ylsmoke:

Congrats on your 5th place! And out of 27!

Attachments

• Death_Valley-0515.jpg
    Death_Valley-0515.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMGP0912.jpg
    IMGP0912.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 4
  • summer-vaca-2.jpg
    summer-vaca-2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2
  • summer-vaca-124.jpg
    summer-vaca-124.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    636.3 KB · Views: 984
  • summer-vaca-134.jpg
    summer-vaca-134.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
  • IMGP0911.JPG
    IMGP0911.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 969
  • IMGP0908.JPG
    IMGP0908.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 969

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Thanks Baja. Thats a big compliment from a guy with a truck like yours. Your right I don't mind running my truck hard. I only use it for wheeling so I have no worry about getting to work on monday LOL! here si a video of running a ledge in tellico. This was a blast wish I had a locker though. peckerwood in tellico
I am as you know getting ready to lift it so all that stock suspension is gonna go. It will be nice to have a good performing suspension it should make a huge difference in comfort and capability.

Attachments

• IMG_4902.jpg
    IMG_4902.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4913.jpg
    IMG_4913.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
OMG! You are lucky you didn't put it into the rock wall on the right side there. I can see how lockers would have helped on that run. Looks lieka good time and a good chance to get some pucker factors up there. Aand I am impressed, that with a stock suspension! I know my stock Trooper would never have made that. All Praise the TACO'S!!!!!! :victory:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well due to my crazy summer/fall I haven't had time to do anyhting to the truck. It looks like I will be getting 1-2 days a week off again starting next weekend OH YEA!

First project is the electrical system. I'm building a bed box with my optimas, battery isolator, fuse panel for accessories, 1500 power inverter, 12v plugs, and viair 460 compressor with tank and air relocation kit.

Then on Monday I am ordering my yukon 4.88 gears and F/R ARB lockers Yea!
Hopefully I can get it all installed by the end of the month. Just depends on when the gears and lockers show up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles