Roseann's Sandstorm seat covers?

overlander

Expedition Leader
I've been wanting a set of Melvill & Moon seat covers for some time now, and it was on my wish list, but now that I see that Sandstorm makes them too per Roseann's article in the latest issue of OJ, I want to consider them as an alternative. Camel colored canvas seat covers with leather piping and gear pockets in my 110 would look sweet, and perform even better. Problem is, I can't find any reference to them on the website. Can someone (Roseann, are you reading this?) clue me in?

Shipping for a M&M set from SA back to USA was quoted to me at $400 alone. I'm hoping Sandstorm can do better than that.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Hi - you can contact Sandstorm in Kenya by emailing

nasri@sandstormkenya.com

Their U.S. website does not import seat covers, as of now they are custom-making these only but might in near future do some limited model runs for Land Rover and Land Cruisers.

Shipping should be under $100 but they can sort that out.

Good luck!

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
overlander:

I have contacted Nasri and am talking about bringing a set over for my 110 as well. I have asked for a price to include rear seat pockets and front of seat bottom map pockets.

I have also asked about covers to place over the stock roll cage interior covers.

Perhaps we could get a price to bring them over together.

I have a pal outside of charlotte that wants a set as well. That is three sets and we could batch them together.

E-mail me at nashvillerover@comcast.net

Also, I am trying to determine what color to go with myself. I love the camel with mocha piping, but somewhat concerned if that will look good with the grey interior of the NAS truck?

Here is some dialogue I have had with Nasri:

In the meantime we have the following colour combinations available for you to think about. We have the following colours available: beige/green/grey/blue with a leather combination of tan and mocha (dark brown) leather.
Sorry for the delay in responding,
Many thanks,
Nasri M. Adam

Looks like a set of these for the entire truck will run around $400-$450.00 plus shipping.

I think that they are a truly authentic looking accessory for the 110!

What do you think about the color?

Let me know if you want to combine an order.

Thanks,
Dendy Jarrett
Nashville, Tennessee

overlander

Expedition Leader
I am interested, contingent on cost of shipping. Camel with mocha piping would fit a white 110 interior just fine. and grey is neutral enough for it. I will forward to you my dialogue with them, and copy you on it going forward. Who's your 110 pal outside charlotte? I will be passing through Tennessee to Fort Knox in November, btw.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Well, I had considered the green with mocha piping and then another thought that the truck should have the grey with mocha piping.
I do like that camel however. Looked sharp in the article.

If the shipping is under $100.00, I am in. Seems like we could get all of them sent for less than that.

Dale Knepp is my friend. Huge rover guy.

Plan to stop by in November! Lunch on me!

Dendy

ps: My truck in number 204. Built just ahead of yours!

overlander

Expedition Leader
Product example pictures from Sandstorm

Safar Smart Product with Green Canvas
2723014810_2414302ca5_b.jpg

Safari Smart with Grey Canvas
2723014896_e1eab3906a_o.jpg

2722191629_e9251fdc5c_o.jpg

They also have Tan Canvas. Trying to get clarification on the swatch, as I was sent Beige Canvas and Sand Canvas swatches

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Hi guys -

We just completed 1500km overland from Maasai Mara to Amboseli in 3 Land Cruisers with Sandstorm covers in the tan with leather piping and leather side panels. These are rental vehicles that get tons of abuse and I must say I was impressed with the way all the covers held up. They wiped down really well.

I've seen all the colors and the green and tan do best with moderate to high use while the sand is lovely - Scott Brady just got the tan with mocha piping for his Discovery - it is best if you don't have kids or spill your latte while driving (oops, Scott better watch out . . .). You can always Scotchguard them new, that should help a lot.

We're working with Sandstorm now to set up better North American distribution of some stock covers and samples.

They're great to work with, really nice people. We met most of the sewers, too - very nice people.

Roseann

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
DesertRose said:
Hi guys -

We just completed 1500km overland from Maasai Mara to Amboseli in 3 Land Cruisers with Sandstorm covers in the tan with leather piping and leather side panels. These are rental vehicles that get tons of abuse and I must say I was impressed with the way all the covers held up. They wiped down really well.

I've seen all the colors and the green and tan do best with moderate to high use while the sand is lovely - Scott Brady just got the tan with mocha piping for his Discovery - it is best if you don't have kids or spill your latte while driving (oops, Scott better watch out . . .). You can always Scotchguard them new, that should help a lot.

We're working with Sandstorm now to set up better North American distribution of some stock covers and samples.

They're great to work with, really nice people. We met most of the sewers, too - very nice people.

Roseann

Roseann:

I have had a bunch of dialogue with Lavender and Nasri there at Sand Storm, and we have hashed through color/style and even added a set of luggage to match.

The biggest problem has been delay of communication and inability to get a shipping price and safe method of payment. It has been almost a week since they said my covers were done, but no word back from them yet.

Is this typical communication style with businesses in Africa? I am new to these overseas dealings.

Thanks,
Dendy Jarrett
aka: nashvillerover

PS: I do believe these are available for the FJ crowd as well, ... no?

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I too have been in contact with Lavender and Nasri. It had been so long since I sent the e-mail that when I saw their reply I had forgotten that I sent an inquiry.

Their reply was very courteous and explained that they have been overwhelmed with the amount of requests for information. Here are the general prices they quoted me.

How much do they cost?
The costs for seat covers and for shipping including taxes in US Dollars are as follows:

Seat covers $ Shipping & Duty $ Total $

Option 1 Fronts only 245 190 435

Option 2 Fronts & rears 445 250 695

Option 3
Fronts, rears & jump seats 495 300 795

I think a delay is to be expected when you have a small company that enters the global market. As you can see, shipping is still a killer.

The chart looked a lot better in the preview window.

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Expeditions and Trip Planning > Conservation and Land Use?

I clicked the link because I was curious to see the tie-in with Roseann's Sandstorm seat covers and conservation and/or land use. :safari-rig:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Heres a email as of this week or last on SandStorm seat covers.

Dear Howard,
First my apologies for our not having responded to you sooner. To be completely honest the interest generated by the media coverage of our seat covers in the United States took us slightly by surprise, and it has taken us some time to work through the practicalities of bringing our authentic safari-grade custom seat covers to the American market.

Our intention is now to narrow down the choice that we were originally offering to a single style which will be available in a number of colourways; we believe that this will allow us to offer a consistently high level of service, with a style that will appeal to the vast majority of our customers.

The key question, beyond the cost of the covers themselves, was the cost of shipping: we'll be working with Fedex, however given the weight of a full set of covers the best price we've been able to negotiate for shipping door to door is $300.
Below I've taken the liberty of attaching a standard e-mail that we will be sending out in response to all enquiries in the future; we believe that this outlines the order process and costs more clearly than previously and as a consequence will allow us to process your order more efficiently should you wish to proceed.
Having read this, if you have any further questions please don't hesitate to get in touch, and Lavendar Wanjiru will follow up with you in the next few days to see if there is anything further we can do.

Kind regards

Mark Stephenson

Managing Director

To help you make your choice and allow us to process your order there is information below about our service and our prices that has been based around some frequently asked questions.

How are your seat covers made?

All of our seat covers are custom made by our highly skilled team here in Kenya . They are made from 18oz cotton canvas and from leather that has been tanned using a 'pull up' technique (this makes it soft and supple and creates a finish that actually improves with age). Each seat cover seam is double-stitched to ensure exceptional durability.

How do I know they will fit my vehicle?

Because of the custom nature of our service, it's important that we have the pattern for your exact vehicle.

The first step is to give us the year and model of your vehicle and also photographs of both the exterior of the vehicle and of course the interior, focusing on the seats.

Once we receive this we will then confirm that we have the pattern for your vehicle before proceeding further. Please note because of the custom nature of our service if we don't have your pattern in our library we may not be able to proceed with your order.

What will they look like?

Front seat covers have leather side panels and a centre canvas panel - they look great and are outstandingly durable.

Rear seat covers are made in canvas with leather piping - they coordinate well with the front seats and again wear incredibly well.

Photographs are attached.

How do I choose colours / materials?

There are four colour ways to choose from

- Tan canvas & tan leather

- Green canvas & tan leather

- Green canvas & mocha leather

- Grey canvas & mocha leather

- Grey canvas & tan leather

We would be delighted to mail you canvas and leather samples. If you'd like us to do this to help with your selection please let us know.

How much do they cost?

The costs for seat covers and for shipping including taxes in US Dollars are as follows:

Seat covers $ Shipping& Duty Total $
Option 1
Fronts only 245 190 435

Option 2
Fronts & rears 445 250 695

Option 3 495 300 795
Fronts, rears & jump seats

How long will they take to make?

The first step is to send us pictures of your vehicle and its details - one we have these we can confirm whether we have the pattern in 24 hours.

We can then send you canvas & leather samples to allow you to choose materials - please allow five working days for delivery.

Once you have made your choice and confirmed your order, please allow 20 working days for manufacture and then a further 10 working days for shipping.

How do I pay?

Payment should be made in full, in advance, by direct transfer to our UK bankers

I hope that this is all helpful and look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Lavender Wanjiru

Sales Executive

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste