Ouray Aug. 2007

Moody

Needs to get out more
I went, I fell in love. Hilary and I both can't wait to go back. We both said we wished we weren't going to Newport Beach next summer and we were booked in Ouray again.
LOTS of great mining sites to explore:
IMG_1952.jpg

Simply beautiful:
IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

I loved driving roads that were higher than many of Utah's Wasatch Range peaks. A great time for sure. We saw LOTS of Rovers out there, but only my little boy Zander took a picture of one, a sweet D90 (?)
IMG_1966.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
A couple more:

We saw these guys with an old Model T, and some other very early cars, having a beer break in Ophir:
IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
cruiseroutfit said:
Great Pics, so what trails did you end up doing?
We drove up/around on a few of them, but the only one we actually 'completed' (end to end) was Ophir Pass. Pretty much a scenic steep dirt road.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Honestly - Is there a nicer place in Colorado than the San Juans? They are pretty hard to beat....

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
It's a fabulous area. As I threatened in this thread, post #14 http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5980&page=2 I was in the area again and went over Ophir once more, with the help of this outfit http://soajeep.com/home.html (my fifth year in a row touring with these guys).

First pic below is looking up Ophir Pass, the second is looking back from where we just were, the third is on FR 825 south & above Red Mtn Pass, and the fourth is of our driver Lee, the stretched screamin' yellow Wrangler shown in last year's post #21 here http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2317&page=3 and the one other tourist with us - she was from Houston Texas and had never been on a 4x4 tour before.

Those dark clouds in the last two pics here were responsible for the inconvenient washouts that closed the Telluride sides of Imogene Pass and Black Bear Pass on July 23rd. Hope the Ouray County crews fixed those real quick....

pismo62

Adventurer
Looks like a great trip. It's wonderful that you are getting the family out with you. Sooner or later I'm heading up that way.

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
My God! (the internet is such a neat place to find photos....) the photo below is looking down on the switchback in my second panorama photo in my post #8 above. This is from a 2005 photo collection of the Hardrock Hundred Mile Endurance Run. I had a hard enough time just hiking up a couple of gulches last week, and these guys make a 100 mile continuous run of the whole area! Incredible photos at this web site...

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'll give away our secret camping spot if everyone promises to not spread the word too far.

Mineral Creek is a little area just west of Silverton. Most people stop at the campground with the other hordes of people. If you drive further back the valley to South park (7 miles from Silverton) there is a great camping meadow with the Bandora Mine keeping watch over the river. Very nice. Can easily fit a dozen camps with plenty of elbow room. The road is really tame, but it's rough enough to give many people pause.

durango_60

Explorer
Flounder said:
I'll give away our secret camping spot if everyone promises to not spread the word too far.

Mineral Creek is a little area just west of Silverton. Most people stop at the campground with the other hordes of people. If you drive further back the valley to South park (7 miles from Silverton) there is a great camping meadow with the Bandora Mine keeping watch over the river. Very nice. Can easily fit a dozen camps with plenty of elbow room. The road is really tame, but it's rough enough to give many people pause.

Great spot, I've been there three times this summer. Now you can go ahead and delete yout post.

Willman

Great trip Moody! We did CO last summer.....very nice place! Wish i had time this year!!!

Next summer for sure!

Jacket said:
Show off! :shakin: Livin' in Durango sure has its perks!

:xxrotflma

Don't get me started!!!!

:hehe:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94