Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Both

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

Robthebrit

Explorer
The discussion on Lanterns was most informing and all the different opinions were great. I am contemplating a new stove and I wondered what you guys use or recommend.

I am learning towards liquid fuel, mainly for the ease or sharing fuel and less waste in the form of canisters. The primus omni fuel looks great and it can also use gas in a crunch. However, I would like a multi burner for the breakfast cookups.

Gas or liquid fuel?

Opinions...

Rob

ZooJunkie

Explorer
How many people will you have to cook for?

If you only cook for 2 person, then MSR's ultra reliable WhisperLite models. I've had mine since 1994 and it's been very good to me. Reliable, efficient (when used w/ a windscreen), boils fast.

I heard lots of good things about JetBoil.

If you want to be really cheap, you can't beat this. I got mine from the local Asian supermarket called 99 Ranch Supermarket. This is the butane burner I got for $15.99 and a packet of 5 butane will set me back $4.99. Great simmering capability, lights fast (instant!), small package, and cheap fuel.

http://wokshop.stores.yahoo.net/porbutstov.html

For me, I prefer liquid, because you don't need to buy their specially blended gas canisters which often isn't available if you are out in the boonies. Liquid fuel is easier to come by, especially if you get something liks MSR's International: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...category_rn=4500454&vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I have a MSR Dragonfly that I bought after my Wisperlite was swiped, and I'm not really sure I can recommend it. It can burn just about anything, the new design is pretty reliable (the original ones were problematic), field serviceable to a certain degree and is the only backpacking stove I am aware of that actually simmers well with a fairly dispersed flame. It is also very stable.

My problem with it is that is seems too big and heavy for backpacking (weighs close to a pound) use and far too cumbersome for car camping use. Buy a JetBoil for back packing and a Coleman or Cook Partner for car-based use.

For ultra light camping alcohol stoves and Sterno gel canisters seem to be envogue, but I really don't like either.

Robthebrit

Explorer
I am normally cooking for 2 adults + 1 kid. The mentioned single burner stoves are all great and would work for when I am alone or for backpacking excursion. I guess I'll do what biggreen suggested and get both, a multi burner coleman for the truck in addition to a portable single burner, that would also give an extra burner at camp if needed. This flexibility is the main reason I do not want gas because I would need an extra and compatible cylinder, with liquid there would be little problem in firing up the extra stove.

Running out of fuel in the boonies would still be a problem as I would only have diesel fuel, I have no need for unleaded which from everything I have read seems to be a better alternative.

All the marketing material likes to say they burn diesel but really they mean only diesel#1 and it should really be only as a last resort, nobody likes to mention the clean up time of cooking with diesel. A liquid fuel lantern buring diesel gives off some nasty fumes, I am not too sure I would want to cook in it unless it was a boil in the bag type thing.

Rob

perterra

Adventurer
For a single burner I recently picked up this one.
http://packstoves.com/russian stove/russian stove.htm
Its a Russian single burner white gas copy of an Optimus Hunter. No pumps, simple and it works like a champ. I highly reccomend it. I searched a good bit and found no complaints. It seemed well thought of here
http://www.spiritburner.com/forum/

For a two burner, I would just run with the bigger coleman. If your running propane lanterns, get a propane stove, if its dual fuel lanterns, get a dual fuel stove. I saw a knock off in an Academy sporting goods store the other day that was solid stainless case and cast iron burners. About $40 so it was priced well too.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
MSR super-fly has been great for fast one pot cooking - I am growing tired of paying the high price of the fuel canisters and the cheaper fuel cans burn less reliably

I moved into the MSR dragon fly - burns unleaded as well as most other fuels - burns real hot and you can control the flame - also good for boiling up big pots and Wok cooking - problem was the pump basically fell apart in a very short time - rubber plunger came loose then the rest of the pump just fell apart - hard to find parts on the road

I still like these two for ultra compact cooking -the super fly is totally solid - dragon fly more work to use...

I also travel with a jet-boil for heating water - I am on my second one - same issue the peizo lighting mechanism eventually goes and then the burner (metals) disintegrates - this is all ready happening to the second one in less than two months of use

I will not be buying a third Jet- boil

I will purchase a cook-partner propane stove and enjoy two burner cooking and less expensive fuel at a cost of size and weight

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The three stoves I have are the MSR wisperlite, Jet-Boil, and the generic coleman 2 burner. For a quick cup of coffee, or freeze-dried food while backpacking, the jet-boil is the ********. But all I use mine for is boiling water...no actual "cooking". For that, I have been known to use the wisperlite, but have gotton out of the habit of "cooking" while backpacking. I stick with freeze dried and foods that can be eaten raw, or cooked prior to the trip. For everything else, the coleman gets pulled out. Yea, the propane cylinders can be a pain (always carry extra), but it is such an easy stove to use and clean up, and the price was so right....that it gets more use than the others combined. It is large enough to be stable so you can actually cook on it (as opposed to using the wisperlite which will fall over the second you try to get a bit aggressive with dinner), dual burners are helpful if you want to get fancy (non single-pan meals), has a built in wind screen, no messing around with primer cups, just turn it on and light the flame....it is just very user friendly and versatile compared to the others.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Desertdude said:
I moved into the MSR dragon fly - burns unleaded as well as most other fuels - burns real hot and you can control the flame - also good for boiling up big pots and Wok cooking - problem was the pump basically fell apart in a very short time - rubber plunger came loose then the rest of the pump just fell apart - hard to find parts on the road

I'm not sure how old your Dragonfly is, but MSR has a new pump design out and it is a vast improvement over the original in pretty much every way. I think you may need to change the jet though as the new pump seems to put out more gas than the old jet can burn.

I also travel with a jet-boil for heating water - I am on my second one - same issue the peizo lighting mechanism eventually goes and then the burner (metals) disintegrates - this is all ready happening to the second one in less than two months of use

I will not be buying a third Jet- boil
:smileeek:
I've never heard of that before. Guess I will pass on the Jet Boil. They seem so cool. I think one of the reasons I put up with the Dragonfly is that for the most part it just works and fuel is cheap and plentiful.

bootzilla

Adventurer
I've always used a propane grill which I think is a knock-off of a Weber Go-Anywhere grill. I got it for free, and it works great, so I never bothered getting a Coleman or other camping-style grill.

It is a little bulky, so it is not the best if you have a lot of gear or limited space, but unless you're going to be out for a long time, I like the stoves that use one-pound propane bottles - you can find them in most any Hardware store along the way, and I've done breakfast and dinner for four people with it before on one bottle with no fuel problems at all.

Dave

Explorer
We mainly user our Coleman two burner but also use a MSR Whisperlite if it's just the two of us or we're camping at a walk-in site (we don't really do any back packing).

The biggest downside for the Coleman, imo, is the need to purchase new canisters. It's not so much the purchasing part as much as it is the disposable part. I've thought about refilling the canisters we have off a larger propane bottle, but all the disposable canisters say it's illegal and unsafe to do so. Any one tried it? Any one know why it's illegal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior